From the days before Google Earth, drones etc., much interesting information can be gleaned from aerial postcards.
Arranged in alphabetical order by county.
Click on images to enlarge.
Page updated 27/8/2017
Garron Tower, Antrim Coast
An unusual view published by CTG Belfast, and an interesting piece on the history of Garron Tower here. The ornamental and productive gardens referred to in the piece are clearly visible in the foreground.
Bantry House, Bantry, Co. Cork
An interesting John Hinde view. Ref: 2/1595.
St.Ernan’s Island, Donegal
John Hamilton, (1800-1884), a wealthy and philanthropic landlord, owned large estates at Brownhall in south Donegal. In 1824, Hamilton decided to build a small dwelling on St. Ernan’s Island in Donegal Bay, and in due course, with the help of the local tenantry, and with great difficulty, he built a causeway over to the island. Hamilton was a good landlord, and was liked and respected by all creeds and classes. He liked St. Ernan’s so much, that he soon decided to build a much larger house there.
Over the years, this house was sold a number of times to different buyers, until it became into the procession of the Dane-Morgan family. In the early 1950s, they bequeathed St. Ernan’s to the Church of Ireland. Thus, it became a holiday home for clergy families. It remained as such until closure in the mid-1970s. It is now an hotel. Source.
An interesting view of Scrabo Tower (nr.Newtownards) erected in 1857 to commemorate one of the Duke of Wellington’s generals – Charles Stewart, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry. The tower which rises to a height of 125 feet is a noted landmark and much favoured by artists.
Slieve Donard Hotel, Newcastle, Co.Down
Published by Aero Pictorial Ltd., 137 Regent Street, London W.1.
Salthill Hotel, Dublin from the Air. Publisher unknown.
St.Mary’s Cathedral, Killarney
Aero-Views view of Limerick City.
Valentines view card No.4491. p.u. 1956.
Courtown Harbour has changed a good deal since this photograph was taken. The village was used in the dramatic closing scenes of the 1967 movie “The Violent Enemy” starring Tom Bell, Ed Begley and Susan Hampshire.
The N11 road from Dublin crosses the River Slaney here on a new bridge, slightly to the left of the one above and cuts straight through the hillside. The Round Tower on the hill is not quite what it seems and is not monastic in origin, but was erected in the 1850s as a memorial to the Wexford men who died in the Crimean War.
More about Ferrycarrig and a contemporary view can be had here: www.wexfordhub.com/history/crimea-war-monument
Shelton Abbey Hotel, Arklow, Co.Wicklow
The Earl of Wicklow tried his hand at operating his stately home as an hotel but it was not a success and the property was sold in 1951. Today the magnificent building is an open prison.