Page updated 1/2/2017.
Click on images to enlarge.
Anna Livia aka ‘The Floozie in the Jacuzzi’
Another controversial monument inflicted on the grateful people of Dublin in 1988 by businessman Michael Smurfit in memory of his father. Never popular in her original location on O’Connell Street the unfortunate Anna Livia is now ‘displayed’ in the Croppie’s Acre – just across the river from Heuston Station. Her place on O’Connell Street taken by the equally controversial ‘Spire’.
Card by Real Ireland Design Ltd., Bray, Co.Wicklow.
George .II. in St.Stephen’s Green
A controversial monument and of great height – it could be seen from as far away as Nassau Street – this was to deter the grateful citizenery from defacing their sovereign. The statue of the King, in Roman garb, was by the famous sculptor John Van Nost ‘The Younger’ and was erected in 1758, and the first statue to be installed in St.Stephen’s Green. It suffered at the hands of Republicans after Independence and was bombed twice, firstly on Remembrance Sunday in 1928 and again more seriously on Coronation Day in 1937 – see press cutting below. This latter attack resulted in its removal.
The card is by D.F.& Company.
The Hamilton Monument, Skerries
Published by Cardall Ltd.
James Hans Hamilton (1810-1863) was a wealthy local landlord and MP for the area and this monument was erected to his memory in 1870.
The Walker Monument, Londonderry
The Walker Monument was a memorial and a tribute to Rev. George Walker, the rector of Donaghmore, Co. Tyrone, who came to Derry prior to the Siege of 1688-89. He was quickly appointed co-governor, along with Major Baker, and inspired the blockaded citizens to endure much hardship during the Siege.
The foundation stone of the monument – which stood on the central western bastion known as Royal Bastion – was laid on December 18, 1826, by the city’s Mayor, Major Richard Young.
The column itself was completed in August 1828 at a total cost of £4,200, including £100 for the statue, with much of the funding coming from the Apprentice Boys and Londonderry Corporation.
The Doric column was 96 feet in height and six feet nine inches in circumference. Inside was a spiral staircase with 110 steps. It was surmounted by a square platform with a railing, and there stood the statue, in its right hand a bible and with its left hand extended and pointing down river towards the Boom, the breaking of which heralded the end of the Siege.
Sadly this fine monument was seen as an oppressive symbol of Unionism and was blown up by the IRA on the night of the 27th August 1973. Today only the base remains – rebuilt after the bombing – and the unfortunate Rev.Walker is apparently in storage.
A “Milton” series card by Woolstone Bros., London.