Everything and anything to do with industry in Ireland.
Click on images to enlarge.
Page updated 22/11/2017
Braidwater Spinning Mill, Ballymena, Co.Antrim
The linen industry once employed thousands in Northern Ireland, and the Braidwater Mill was established in 1865 employing generations from the town and surrounding area. The Mill closed down in 1998 and has since been demolished. Today the site is occupied by a retail park.
Gallaher’s Tobacco Works, Belfast
A rather fine early view of Gallaher’s Factory. No publisher but probably an officially commissioned card. Postally used in 1911. More information about Gallaher’s here.
Harland & Wolff, Belfast
Left to right: Harland & Wolff Shipyards, Belfast viewed from Queen’s Road. Published by Fergus O’Connor, Dublin and The South Yard published by W.E.Walton, 57 Royal Avenue, Belfast.
Above: Three views published by Valentines of Dundee.
At the shipyard’s peaking during World War .2. an incredible 35,000 people worked here!
Founded in 1875 by Gustav Wilhelm Wolff one of the partners in the Harland & Wolff Shipyards, and W H Smiles.
Card is from the W R & S ‘Reliable’ series (95/246) and produced for a local publisher – W.J. Cunningham, Connswater.
Whiskey Distilling at Bushmills
A modern view of the “Old Bushmills” Distillery at Bushmills, County Antrim. Unknown publisher.
More information about the history of the distillery here: www.bushmills.com
The Bleach Greens at Annvale, Keady, Co.Armagh
County Armagh was an important centre for the linen industry and this interesting card, pu in 1912, shows the massive scale of the works in a very rural location. The card was published by Edmondson & Co.
More information about the Linen Industry in Co.Armagh here.
Ballycopeland Windmill, Co.Down published by Ranscombe Photographics Ltd., Douglas, Isle of Man.
More information here.
Lead mines at Newtownards, Co.Down
Whitespots a couple of miles north of Newtownards was once an important area for lead mining (c.1849-1910) and at one stage in the mid-nineteenth century accounted for almost 40% of all lead produced in Ireland. The post industrial wasteland is now being redeveloped as Whitespots Country Park.
Card by a local publisher – Boyle of Newtownards.
Harnessing Wind Energy in an earlier era
On an Irish Hilltop: a nice Valentines card of an unidentified windmill p.u 1958.
The Guinness Brewery, St.James’s Gate, Dublin
Another fine view taken from the Kingsbridge (Heuston) Station end of the brewery. The extent of the rail operation within the complex is visible on the left. An official card – GA/ 1028.E.
Above: ‘The Lady Patricia’ heads past the Bailey Lighthouse with a load of stout bound for Liverpool.
Above: A nice aerial view showing three Guinness ships tied up near the Custom House, Dublin – unknown publisher.
Arthur Guinness established his brewery at St.James’s Gate in 1759 and for many years it was the largest brewery in the World. Occupying some 64 acres it had an extensive internal railway system – also the largest of its type to be found anywhere and a fleet of ships for the export trade. Sadly, Arthur Guinness & Co. passed out of family control in 1986 and today is part of the giant Diageo Group.
Guinness for Export
A hectic scene on the River Liffey published by Philip Hunt, London.
More information here: Guinness Brewery
ESB Power Station, Portarlington
Ireland’s first peat fired power station which operated from 1950-1988 – no publisher indicated but probably an official card.
Full story here: Portarlington Generating Station 1946-1988 A Pictorial History
The Shannon Hydroelectric Scheme (1925-29)
Above left to right: The Dam and Power Station at Ardnacrusha from an Eason & Son ‘Signal Series’ card p.u. in 1948. Construction work at the Headrace from a 1931 photograph by C.Shepherd; General construction scene – unknown publisher.
Note the extensive network of mixed narrow gauge railways employed in the days before road machines ruled the roost..
Above: Erection of the turbine casings and pipes – published by T Carroll & Sons Stationers, Limerick.
Lots more information on the project here: Shannon Hydroelectric Scheme
An interesting selection of views of Limerick Docks, taken from the same viewpoint and showing significant changes with the passage of the years.
Nestles’ Factory, Castledawson, Co.Derry
Opened in 1943 to produced sweetened condensed milk the factory which at one time employed 200 people closed in the 1970s. Valentine’s card postally used in 1959.
William Clark & Sons Ltd., Upperlands, Co.Derry
The Weaving Factory, Beetling Mills, Finishing Works and Warehouse. Founded in 1740 to process linens by harnessing the water of the Claudy River.
Seems to have been an official card printed for the company by The Press Gang, Norwich.
The Convent Woollen Mills, Foxford
Foxford on the River Moy has long been a place synonymous with Irish Woollen production and happily is still going strong today. Card published by Valentines. More here.
Flour Milling at Ballisodare
Ballisodare, Co.Sligo was once a hive of industry and the mills which straddled the Owenmore River were sufficiently important as to have their own rail connection to the Dublin/Sligo railway. Latterly owned by Odlums, the mills finally closed down in 1989 and were demolished during the so-called “Celtic Tiger” era to make way for a housing development. This card was published by S.M.Gibson & Co., James Street, Dublin and posted in 1909.
Augher Creamery, Co.Tyrone
Rural Ireland never had much in the way of industry in the early 20th century and the local creamery, like the one above, would have been one of the few sources of employment for those not working directly on the land.
Irish Tanners, Portlaw, Co.Waterford
In the early 20th century, outside of Dublin, Belfast and Cork there was little industrialisation and what there was tended to be based on agricultural products. Irish Tanners Ltd., in Portlaw was a good example of this. The factory here opened in 1935 on the site of an earlier cotton mill. However the decline in demand for shoe leather once synthetic soles became the trend saw the factory close in 1985.
Brusna Distillery, Kilbeggan, Co.Westmeath
An early card with undivided back.
St.John’s Mill, Enniscorthy, Co.Wexford
Known locally as Davis’s Mill the extensive premises closed in 2004 and was largely demolished to make way for upmarket housing (which never materailised) the remains of the mills can still be seen just outside Enniscorthy on the New Ross Road. In their heyday the mills even boasted a short branchline off the Dublin/Rosslare railway.
Kynoch’s Explosive Works, Arklow
Arklow’s chemical industry played an important role in the British war effort during World War .I. The short-lived Kynoch’s Explosive Works was an important, if controversial, employer in the town for a quarter of a century (1895 -1919). Wracked by industrial relations problems, political interference and a number of significant workplace accidents – explosions – its fate was sealed by consolidation of production to the UK mainland in the closing stages of the war. An in-depth article about Kynochs may be found here.